Remembering Benny...

Today, Benny would have been EIGHT years old.  Due to a sudden neurological attack, he passed away at only 4 1/2 yrs of age.  This is a post I shared a couple of years ago.


After making a trip back to the Breeder in Indiana where we'd gotten Jasper, our Maltese, just 3 weeks earlier {at only 9 months of age}...we welcomed this beautiful, loving and funny furry kid, who we named Benny {who was formerly named Squirt} into our hearts and lives.  That was June 6, 2009.  Benny was born on March 20, 2009.   I don't think I'd ever seen a Havanese before I saw Benny, and he was so cute.  He was only 12 weeks old and he weighed only 5# and could run UNDER Jasper!  That was a sight!!  You see, Maltese are small dogs and Jasper was 7# at 9 months of age.  He was calm and submissive and didn't skip a beat when it came to running up and down our porch steps.

He paid lots of attention to me when I got Bell's Palsy and would lay with me and lick my face where he KNEW it hurt me.  Then he would lay his warm body against that spot until my face was so warm and actually feeling better.
 

The painting of him {above} was done from one of the last couple of photos I took of him.  He was laying in his crate on his very favorite blanket after I'd brought him back home from the Vet on a Saturday morning.  He woke up that day not being able to step on his front right paw.  They gave me pain meds for him and scheduled tests for the follwoing Monday.

He never made it to those tests on Monday.

Shortly after I took the photos, he began a steady downhill turn in his condition and later that afternoon, he began having an awful time with coordination, not being able to stand and twisting his head way off to the side.  Since our Vet's office was closed and I was growing more concerned about him by the minute, I called the Emergency Vet Hospital.  They suggested that we could bring him in and the Vet would possibly change the medication.  I put his blanket on my lap and held him and did Reiki on him and used my Essential Oils on him...and he fell asleep.  A few hours later, when he went outside with the other 2 Pups, he couldn't do anything but barely stand in one spot...and then tip over.  That was it!

I called the Emergency Hospital and took him in.  After an exam, he appeared to get much worse, and developed seizures.  They did blood work and a few other things, and then the Vet said we could take him to a neurologist, which would probably cost upwards of $4,000 with no real chance of improvement or we could take him home and watch him.  Then I asked her if she thought Benny would die from this, because I was the feeling he wouldn't.  Tears welled up in her eyes and she said as much as she hated to even think that about our 4 1/2 year old sweetheart, she believed he probably wouldn't make it through the night.

I couldn't, in good conscience, allow him to go through what he'd gone through the entire afternoon and evening...and get WORSE...and die alone.  So, after spending some quiet time with him and the other 2 pups and dad...I decided the best thing we could do for him was allow him to die with us all right there with him.  Belive me, that was the hardest decision I have ever had to make, but I knew it was the right one.

Benny passed away with us right there with him...on his favorite blanket.  It took Jasper & Rosie about 15 minutes of sniffing him and laying by him and they were wanting to leave.  We got them down off the table where Benny was and they went to sleep on the floor...while I sat with Benny.  Shortly after, we left.

That was December 7, 2013.


Jan Tanis
Jan Tanis

I'm Jan and I'm happy you stopped in. Please, leave a comment and follow along..

9 comments:

  1. Such a sad story about your beloved sweet Benny. It breaks my heart reading this. It's difficult to understand why we lose people and pets too soon. Treasure his memories. They bring us so much love and devotion. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. We never stop missing them, do we, Jan? What a beautiful boy Benny was. It has been two years since we expectantly lost our sweet Emily, and it still more than breaks my heart to think about it. So I totally get it.I am glad you have your other fur babies to help comfort you:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you know I am bawling like a baby reading this. I think there are some pets that never leave our hearts and time only softens the loss just a bit. He sounds like a wonderful pup. I still miss my little Misty and she has been gone for 5 years....Blessings to your poor heart- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. ps. He was a BEAUTIFUL pupster!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sad Jan. We never get over the loss of a fur baby. Blessings to you. Benny was a sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sad. It is so hard when we lose our beloved pals. We never forget about them, either. I still miss my kitties, Tigger and Buddy, as I lost them both to sudden onset illnesses. Luckily, I was by their sides, when each of them passed on, which made me feel that it was better for them, but it was really hard on me. I was crying like a baby. Our pets are part of our family, and they get treated as such. That's why it's so hard, when they leave us. Sending you lots of good thoughts and prayers for today. Love, Barb xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh-so- sad. it is so hard to lose a pet. I lost our little Misty about 6 years ago and still miss her. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  8. Losing our fur babies is like losing a part of our family. I hope you can find some peace knowing that you gave Benny a good life. Last week was the first anniversary of losing our Katie very unexpectedly, at just 3 years old. Very heartbreaking, to say the least, and something we'll never get over.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know how you feel, Jan. I lost my Shiloh about 7 years ago and I still think of him. In fact, I was just talking about him the other day. They really do stay in our hearts forever.

    hugs,
    rue

    ReplyDelete